Wednesday 28 December 2011

If I should have a daughter.

If I should have a daughter
I'd call her Glory or Faith or Truth
And tell her, Baby, this is what I want from you
I want you to hold your head up high
Like you're a gem
Like you're the sun
Like you're the brightest star in the night sky
So Baby, I'd say
And shed listen with gleaming eyes
I'd say I want you to be wise 
And always follow your heart
And follow your dreams 
And never let them pull you apart
And persevere and push and hold on just a second longer
Cuz Baby, what won't destroy you, 
Will only make you stronger. 
And she'd nod her head patiently 
Absorbing all o' my words 
Like a sponge soaks up water 
But my daughter,  will not be weighed down by em
Instead she'd spread her wings 
And soar like I never could
She'd live the dream that I probably have would 
If only.. 
If only I wasn't for sale and If I wasn't bought 
If I wasn't left in this hell to rot
If I had fought and 
If I had not 
Fallen into his plot
A swollen belly wouldn't be the only thing I'd have got
But it's the first hope in  years 
After tears and fears and glares and flame and game and an utter lot of shame... 
I fear, though 
That she might inherit my fate
But then I slap myself and say 
No, she will be brave
She will fight, she will win
She would not bend 
She'd struggle with pride and she'd strive
Because when all fails and crumbles and comes to an end
It's Glory, it's Faith, it's Truth that survives.  

7 comments:

  1. I love this, it's beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Ur the only one who ever comments.. So... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha aw, but I'll comment on EVERYTHING, so it's okay :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I love your writing style <3
    You have that "inborn talent" you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. take a bow and exit stage left. you've left quite a few ladies and a few muscular men teary-eyed.

    ReplyDelete